Statement as issued Monday afternoon:
The Allen County Highway Department’s south maintenance garage is reporting the following conditions along roads due to high water as of 3:15 p.m.:
Open with Standing Water (signs up):
- South County Line Road between US 27 & Winchester
- Marion Center Road between US 27 & Winchester
- Bostic Road between S. Anthony Ext. & US 27
- Paulding Road between Moore & Morgan
- Morgan Road between Castleman & Paulding
- Houk Road between Hoffman & Maples
- South County Line Road at State Line Rd.
The highway department reminds motorists that if they encounter a flooded roadway, be sure to “Turn Around, Don’t Drown.” According to the National Weather Service, most flash flooding deaths are vehicle related. Six inches of standing water is enough to cause passenger cars to stall and a foot of water will float many vehicles. Motorists should never drive through flooded roadways, especially if the water is moving rapidly, and never drive around the barriers warning you that the road is flooded.