The Journal Gazette

Home Search

Warsaw man burned in trash fire

A Warsaw man received second- and third-degree burns Wednesday when he tried to burn trash using gasoline and the fire exploded back onto him, the Kosciusko County sheriff's department said.

Toby D. Jackson, 31, was taken to St. Joseph Regional Burn Center in Fort Wayne for further treatment, the sheriff's department said in a statement.

Deputies said they were called to the emergency room at Kosciusko Community Hospital about 9 a.m. after the hospital notified police about a burn victim.

Jackson told deputies he had been trying to burn trash using gasoline at a home near North Webster when the fire exploded back to the gas can and then onto him. His mother took him to Warsaw for initial treatment, the statement said.

It said Jackson received second-degree burns to his arms and neck, and third-degree burns to his hands.

Deputies tried to locate the scene of the fire, but were unsuccessful, the statement said.

Copyright © 2014,