The Journal Gazette

Home Search

Mother drops children to safety from burning apartment

INDIANAPOLIS – Fire officials said an Indianapolis woman saved her two children by dropping them from her burning apartment’s second-story window to neighbors below.

The Indianapolis Fire Department said 24-year-old Latice Jackson dropped her 2-year-old and 4-month-old children to neighbors waiting below at Heart’s Landing Apartments before she jumped to safety herself about 3:20 a.m. Tuesday.

Jackson and her children were assessed for smoke inhalation at a local hospital.

The Indianapolis Star reported ( officials believe an unattended pan of grease heating on a stove started the fire, which caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.

Jackson told firefighters the family returned home from a family New Year’s Eve party when she started to heat a pan of oil to cook French fries for one of her children, but apparently fell asleep.

Copyright © 2014,