The Journal Gazette

Home Search
jgmobile.net

Wood-burning stove blamed in Fremont fire

An inside wood-burning stove was the cause of a fire at a Fremont home on Wednesday, the Fremont Fire Department said.

No one was injured.

Firefighters said they were called to 5855 East Steuben County Road 540 North shortly before 2 p.m. on a report of a fire in the floor of the residence.

Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the second story of the home, and found the fire had spread from the first floor through the walls into the second floor and attic, the fire department said in a statement.

The fire was controlled in about 30 minutes, the statement said. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

The statement said Clear Lake police, the Steuben County EMS and the REMC assisted at the scene.

Copyright © 2014, www.jgmobile.net