The Journal Gazette

Home Search
jgmobile.net

Gas leak prompts evacuation of apartments

ANDERSON, Ind. – More than two dozen people have been forced from their apartments after officials in a central Indiana city declared the complex unsafe because of natural gas leaks.

Anderson building commissioner Frank Owens said the evacuation order was made Wednesday night after utility workers found gas leaks in all five buildings at Arbor Village Apartments. The Herald Bulletin reports (http://bit.ly/11WzYO1) that the complex was briefly evacuated Tuesday until the gas was shut off to three buildings where leaks were first found.

Owens said he was concerned that space heaters being used with the buildings’ older wiring systems.

Arbor Village owner Tom Stanley said the apartments were safe with the gas shut off until repairs were made. He said he’s invested nearly $1 million in the complex since buying it three years ago.

Copyright © 2014, www.jgmobile.net